Plex Server Update

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to talk about my home server update. I have my main computer highlighted in my build earlier in the blog that I use for content creation, gaming, etc. But I also have a home server that I use primarily for file storage and my plex home media server. And I decided it was time for an upgrade. Since my demands on the server aren't extreme I have been getting by with an E2180 dual core 2.00 ghz processor and the stock heatsink. Recently I have added a bunch of 1080p movies and I got a new 4k TV so I am going to be adding some 4k  movies to my library, it was time to get something that can transcode better.

Since this is a side PC I didn't want to replace everything so I kept the old LGA 775 motherboard and the reused the Acer Aspire media case it is in.

Since we are talking old school 775 socket I went to ebay to shop for my upgrades and I was really surprised at the availability of components.

The new CPU cooler is a no brand which you know buy at your own risk. But this thing was very easy to install, 4 copper heat pipes, and an aluminum radiator only 90mm tall. Its pretty quiet too, and for server applications it works just fine and it only cost me $14 shipped.

For the CPU I really wanted to get a quad core to handle larger threaded videos and snappier desktop performance when I remote in to make adjustments etc. I managed to find this Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 Ghz for only $16. For $16 it comes with 4 cores and 4 threads, and a passmark score of over 3000 and a windows experience rating of 7.0. Not bad at all for the price.

Above is a glimpse of the stock box and mess of wires. Since there is not a ton of space and no window didn't really bother with cable management the first time around. I did a much better job after the rebuild in the picture below.
Thermals have improved and I am enjoying a much faster streaming experience.

Thanks for reading and if you have any Plex questions please let me know. I have built both Ubuntu (Linux) and windows versions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yealink UH34 Review

Logitech Combo Touch IPad keyboard case review

Long time IOS user, but tempted to make the switch to Android